Friday, May 7, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pie Kinda Day!

One of my students was talking about a Chocolate Chip Pie the other day. While I do consider myself somewhat of a Pie Connoisseur, I had never heard of such a pie! Turns out it's pretty much a chocolate chip cookie baked into a pie... with an Oreo crust for this girl!


Now first things first: PREHEAT oven to 325° F. 

For the crust I recommend the cheater's route: go and buy the pre-made crust.

You can attempt to make your own, however my attempts at an Oreo crust have yet to turn out successfully, so if anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it!


Next comes the actual pie:

I found that the simplest recipe came from Nestle

 Of course, when I measured only one cup of chocolate chips, I found there was not quite enough, so I threw in a handful more for good measure. Also I used the store-bought brand of chocolate chips. Not only are they cheaper, but they taste just as good!

Beforehand you will want to soften your butter. I usually do this by leaving the butter on top of the stove while it is pre-heating, just make sure your butter does not melt! I try to rotate the butter so that each side gets a chance to soften up!

Now this recipe is much simpler if you have a KitchenAid mixer handy. I don't know about you, but I hate using a hand mixer, especially when you have to beat eggs until they are "light and fluffy." Sometimes that can take what feels like hours!

Once your eggs are light and fluffy, you can slowly add the flour, sugar and brown sugar. You will also want to add in the butter. 


When everything looks good and mixed, use a spatula to stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Then place the mixture on top of your pie crust. It is now ready to bake at 325° F  for around 50 minutes.






Now all things considered, you could more than likely try other ingredients, such as M&M's instead of chocolate chips. Not a fan of nuts? Take them out! Personally I love walnuts with my chocolate chip pie! The point is that you don't HAVE to follow the recipe; use it as a guideline and then make it your own!



No comments: