Sorry I have been M.I.A. this week. We have been busy busy busy with our cooking adventure. We made our own tomato sauce, starting with homemade stewed tomatoes:
Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- Place tomatoes in boiling water long enough for the skin to crack.
- Remove from boiling water and place them in an ice bath.
- Peel skin from tomatoes, squeeze out seeds
- Puree in blender and set aside
- Cut in half (Makes about 2 24-ounce cans worth)
Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Fresh Oregano & Basil
- 3 Stalks of Celery, Chopped
- 1 tbsp of Sugar
- 1 cup of red wine
- Salt, Pepper & Crushed Red Pepper
- In a pot, saute diced onion, garlic and olive oil
- Add chopped celery
- Add fresh parsley, oregano and basil, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper
- Add half of fresh stewed tomatoes (about 24-ounces)
- Puree, and simmer for 2 hours.
Which we used to make:
We used the other half of our stewed tomatoes for this recipe:
Next time I might try frying the eggplant. Baking is definitely more healthy, but I think frying it might give it an extra oomph!
This recipe rocks, and you can totally make it completely vegetarian. Definitely makes great leftovers!
What are your plans this weekend? We will be celebrating Hubby's Birthday with homemade Chile Rellenos. I am super excited! Now to plan what to wear....